Thursday, March 19, 2015

Vegan Zucchini Bread.

A few weeks ago, I was wondering what to do with the organic zucchini left alone in my fridge. On another day, I would have no issue figuring it out; I absolutely love to bake a good zucchini bread and have a pretty good recipe for that purpose. The only problem is: it calls for eggs. Because being vegan is new to me, I have no idea what I'm doing and had no clue what substitutes to use for eggs. I then decided to take the easy road and searched the internet for a vegan zucchini bread.

I have to admit the whole experience was pretty much a disaster.

The loaf after baking for more than an hour was so gooey I finally decided to slice it in order to finish the baking. Of course, the result was a dry overcooked bread. And in addition, the zucchini was totally unnoticeable. Plain, the bread had no flavor at all. Thankfully, the cinnamon streusel saved it all !



Oil-Free Zucchini Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Adapted from Oh She Glows.

Ingredients:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed and set aside for 5 minutes)
1 & 1/4 cup shredded zucchini, packed
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp organic honey (or other liquid sweetener)
1 & 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
Cinnamon Streusel topping: 2 tsp non-dairy margarine/butter (I used Earth Balance), 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the flax egg and set aside. Oil a regular-sized loaf pan and then line it with parchment paper so you can easily pull out the loaf when cooled.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients (flour, powders, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and almonds).
3. In another large bowl, combine the wet ingredients (flax egg, shredded zucchini, lemon juice, honey, milk).
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just mixed. Be careful not to overmix the batter as spelt flour is delicate.
5. Spoon the batter into prepared loaf pan and spread out evenly. Prepare the cinnamon streusel and then sprinkle on top. Bake for about 45-60 minutes at 350F or until toothpick comes out clean and the loaf gently springs back when pressed.



What do you use as a substitute for eggs ?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts ?