Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The story behind the blog.

I have never been very fond of veggies -or food for that matter.

When I was a kid, seating down for meals was actually my worst nightmare. If there was anything I was ready to accept as a meal, it was milk. My stubborn brain didn't want to go any farther. For a very long time, my parents had to fight to make me ingest anything. If meals were my nightmares, I might have been theirs. It even came to the point where I would easily seat for two hours in front of my lunch before my parents would give up; and yet, give up would not be the correct word: I was allowed to leave the table, but if at any time I would complain of being hungry, I would be served my so dear lunch. It went on for years. I was such a picky eater I would even eat the inside of french fries but leave the skin. And you thought your kid was a picky eater, uh ?

It took me a very long time to be attracted by food. I must have been 16 years old when I finally gained proper weight and ate normal portions. And even then, veggies were something I was afraid of. "I don't like it" became my favorite sentence, and I would dish it up without a try. You can guess the variety of my diet: almost nonexistent. Now, every time I ought to say to a kid "You can't say so if you didn't try it" -because it is the right thing to say- I smile at my boldness.

The first time I got confronted to veggies in my daily life was during my first trip to Canada. The family I lived with was very healthy oriented, and everyone knows how veggies rhymes with healthy -if it doesn't to your ears, get a check-up. The kids' snacks were mainly raw veggies with hummus. What a culture shock it was! It changed everything. Month after month, I got used to some veggies and was not reluctant anymore at trying new food.

Years after, I am now proud to say I can pretty much eat any veggies. Some my parents are even afraid of! Which takes me to my Vegan Experimentation. A month ago, a friend of mine told me she was experimenting a vegan cleanse: for 21 days, her sister, brother-in-law and herself were excluding meat and dairy from their diet. During that period of time, when I asked her if she could notice a difference, the two things I retained were the fact she felt less tired in the mornings and how her skin looked healthier. This was enough to convince me: I had to experience it for myself.

Sixteen days ago, I myself started a vegan cleanse. This really made me wanna talk about food -it has been on my mind for a while now. So here I am! On this blog, I will mainly post recipes I found online but I always change a little something here or there. It will be a way to share my passion for food with you, to help you discover great websites and delicious recipes, and also to talk about my vegan experimentation.

I hope you will enjoy it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts ?