Sunday, March 22, 2015

Vegan Chocolate Cake

In the past, I heard of people who don't like chocolate. That statement always surprises me -as much as the cheese one- and people can easily read on my face my failure to understand such statement. In my mind, it is impossible not to like chocolate. Though, I do understand the dislike of dark chocolate, as I am not myself a huge fan. Chocolate is to me the comfort food par excellence. I find always handy to have a chocolate within easy reach for those moments of despondency. Therefore, chocolate cakes are on my top list.

After my previous failure at preparing a vegan bread, I was a bit skeptical about the association of the term vegan to the pastry cooking. Nevertheless, I gave it another try with this recipe found thanks to a friend of mine. Unlike the recipe for the vegan bread, this one is not calling for any substitute. It is simply a no dairy, no egg recipe. And I have to admit I am pretty happy with the result. If the cake doesn't have that sweet taste of chocolate I am really fond of, its texture is perfect. My mistake was probably to use unsweetened dark chocolate. Not being a big fan of dark chocolate, it is the only reproach this cake inspires me.



Vegan Chocolate Cake

Adapted from Pigut.

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups organic whole wheat flour
1/2 cup natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
100 g dark chocolate
1 cup water
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda)
3. In a pan, melt the chocolate and incorporate it to the dry ingredients.
4. Add water, olive oil, vanilla and stir until mixed.
5. Cook for about 20 to 30 minutes depending on your baking pan.

Enjoy this very low calorie and healthy treat !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts ?