Sunday, April 12, 2015

Vegan carrot cake.

Because I had a few carrots left in my fridge and because I am leaving in less than a week for a two months vacation in France, I decided to give another try to a vegan cake with flax seeds. Unlike the other time though, this recipe didn't call for "flax egg" but simply for ground flax seeds.



I love a good carrot cake. I am actually obsessed with carrot cake. It satisfies my sweet tooth but looks healthy enough not to make me feel guilty. Same goes for zucchini cake. And I sometimes cook a zucchini-carrot cake, because why not. My previous experience with flax seeds in my zucchini cake was such a disaster I didn't think I would be able to bake vegan cakes ever. But this new experience was a success. I am glad to say I have found a vegan recipe to fulfill my desires. Big up !

Vegan carrot cake.
Adapted from Oh She Glows.



Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrot
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 cup organic honey
3/4 cup almond milk
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt



Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the grated carrot, ground flax, honey, almond milk, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and lemon zest. Set aside for at least two minutes while you gather the dry ingredients.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.



The texture was perfect and I didn't have to fight in order to bake it all the way. Cooking it for 40 minutes was plenty enough to keep a good consistency without overcook it. Plus the cake does not taste too sweet, which is everything you want in a carrot cake -at least it is what I am looking for when I bake treats with vegetables.

I simply loved it.

Next time, I will try to make it with zucchini and see if it is also a success. If so, I just found my new recipe for a vegan breakfast treat !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts ?